Category Archives: Garden Design
One of the “must have” features in a high-yield production garden is a protected structure. A place in the garden that gets bright, filtered light, is protected from wind and precipitation, has space for growing and easy access.
Why is this type of area important? Here are my top 3 reasons.
1. A protected space is ideal for seedling production. In warm weather, seedlings may be started on a grow bench. In the spring, the area serves as a transitional, hardening off area for seedlings or purchased plants. Plants will acclimate to the outdoor conditions without getting beat up from wind and rain.
2. Many types of potted plants including mints, microgreens, and cilantro are not well suited to growing in the direct sun. The filtered light provided by a properly designed grow structure provides the ideal light for these plants.
3. A well-designed protected area provides a multitude of uses including summer growing space, fall and winter storage area, space for spring plant staging , vertical grow space, even a compost bin. That’s a lot of bang for the buck!
Want to have eye-catching containers that are unique, colorful and cost-effective? Consider incorporating hardy perennials into your container designs. Read more
This is the second part of a two part series. See 9 Features of High Yield Gardens (Part 1).
6. Develop a year-round growing plan
Year round food production in northern climates does not need to be complicated or expensive. Learn to use simple season extension techniques such as row covers and cold tolerant crops to extend the outdoor garden season. Setup and use a simple indoor light garden to produce seedlings and/or indoor greens and herbs. Read more
The successful small space garden is a complete system designed for production and much more.
1. Make the garden multifunctional
Production can mean edible crops but also much more. Other activities that naturally coordinate with food production include, making compost, propagating plants, growing cutting flowers, creating an outdoor living/entertaining space. Read more